EMAIL TO A FRIEND COMMENT

 

Nationwide Recall of Premium Protein Products; Possible Staph Contamination


Project Healthy Living, Inc. of New York, New York (d/b/a Aloha, Inc.) is voluntarily recalling all packages of Premium Protein powder in chocolate and vanilla blends because it has the potential to be contaminated with Staphylococcus enterotoxin. The presence of Staphylococcus enterotoxins may be injurious to health and may result in staphylococcal food poisoning.

 

Nausea, vomiting, retching, abdominal cramping, and prostration may occur. In more severe cases there may be headache, muscle cramping, and transient changes in blood pressure and pulse.

 

The Aloha Premium Protein products were distributed nationwide from November 2014 through January 2015 directly to consumers through online sales and in New York through a very limited number of retail stores. All sizes of Aloha's Vanilla and Chocolate Premium Protein blends are being voluntarily recalled. This product is packaged and sold in both 14-serving sized steel tins and single-serving sized pouches. The single serving pouches may be in kits that contain other products not affected by the voluntary recall.

 

To date, Aloha has received 17 complaints from customers who have reported transient gastrointestinal symptoms consistent with staphylococcal food poisoning. This voluntary recall is a result of an extensive testing program, which Aloha began immediately following individual customer complaints of gastrointestinal issues. Aloha is working closely with its manufacturer, co-packers, ingredient suppliers, and distribution partners to determine the source and cause of the contamination.

 

Aloha has temporarily ceased production and distribution of the Premium Protein products until further analytical testing can confirm the specific source of the contamination. Aloha has already notified customers via direct e-mail correspondence and created a dedicated website regarding the voluntary recall.

 

See the Recall

 

See also Medical Law Perspectives, July 2012 Report: Foodborne Illness: When Grabbing a Bite Can Be Deadly

 

 

REPRINTS & PERMISSIONS COMMENT